Florida trial lawyer and chiropractor, Guy S. DiMartino, DC, JD answers the question if its better to see a chiropractor of medical doctor after a Florida accident.
The answer to this question is not easy. Im a chiropractor and a trial lawyer so I have an affinity to chiropractors but I will try to perform an honest assessment.
Benefits of Initially Seeing a Medical Doctor
- Is better equipped to handle severe or life threatening injury
- Has hospital privileges
- Can prescribe medications
- Can certified an emergency medical condition under the new PIP “No-Fault” law
- Some insurance adjusters and/or jurors have higher regard for medical doctors
Cons of Seeing a Medical Doctor
- If there is not a serious or life threatening injury – cannot offer much in the way of treatment
- Many do not know how to deal with or have no interest in dealing with accident patients
- Not as accessible as chiropractor
Pros of seeing a chiropractor
- If the injuries are more soft tissue in nature – can offer a wide variety of treatments
- For health conscious folks – chiropractors do not use drugs or surgery
- More accessible to patients that medical counterparts
Cons of seeing a chiropractor
- Some folks do not regard chiropractors as highly as medical doctors
- Cannot certify an Emergency Medical Condition under the new 2013 Florida PIP “No-Fault” law
Whether to see a chiropractor or medical doctor following an accident depends on the nature and extent of the injuries and the persons preference to the different healing systems. As a general rule, it is best for most people to treat with both types of providers so they can coordinate the patients care and treatment. For instance, the patient may need some medication but also would benefit from chiropractic adjustments, physical therapy, and exercise.
If you have any questions about a Florida personal injury claim, contact Dr. Guy S. DiMartino, DC, JD at 352-267-9168 or fill out the Internet contact form on the right.